It's really complicated to be honest: There are a lot of companies, a lot of offices, with a lot of different timelines. I recommend you reach out to the recruiters of the offices + companies in which you are interested! This had the added benefit of you potentially being put in touch with a potential referee!
To summarize the below: We don't know, and no-one does. Take the initiative, reach out to the offices/companies you want, hustle hard, and find the jobs that are available and fight for them. Don't speculate...read the cards TODAY and operate as such, until something changes, then adapt.
1. There is a chance, like with any business currently - no-one can say what will happen in the coming months
2. Could be. Others may hire more. Again, we don't know. Some companies in some regions are spending more on strategy consultancies to help them navigate these waters.
3. Why don't you apply for both? Pursue both routes, hustle hard, and then maybe your choice will be made for you (or you'll have a choice to make!)
4. Again, it's possible. What I can tell you is the top-tier firms are very nimble. They are notoriously "immune" to economic cycles. This is because:
- When the economy does well, MBB are hired to help companies do even better
- When the economy does poorly, MBB are hired to help companies survive (cost costs, adapt, plan for the new world)
I can tell you that MBB are hustling hard and that when companies are in trouble, they look to MBB first for guidance. Strategy consultants help firms navigate uncharted territory...these times are when they're most needed
Some other Q&As you may find useful:
Additionally, if you're interested in trying out cases that deal with other impacts of COVID-19, check out these two cases: