Healthcare practise within MBB is growing and there are definitely opportunities for people like you with medicine background to join these companies.
1. In terms of which companies are hiring specifically in India, to my knowledge, all MBB are active and in particular Bain it is expanding its presence there.
2. The scope of healthcare consulting within MBB it is quite broad both in terms of sectors and type of projects. The most common projects sectors around public sector consulting, private hospitals, pharmaceutical organisations and medical device companies. You might find yourself working on a range of topics spannin from m&A, marketing, business unit strategy, corporate & portfolio strategy, to more implementation-related / operational ones.
3. The skills of medical-background candidates in MBB needs to be in line with what is normally looked for by this companies in all other candidates: problem solving and analytical skills, leadership skils ,teamworking, time management, prioritisation of resources, making difficult decisions under pressure. .
4. Hiring process for people with advanced professional degrees such as MD typically follow the experienced hire / MBA recruiting track (on avg including 3-5 rounds of 1h interviews) and join as Mid-level position (e.g. associates within McK, Senior Associate at BCG etc..). But that can vary a bit from case to case.
5. Focus on what said above in 3. but keep in min that in general MBB look for well-rounded candidate, so another thing to keep in mind is demonstrating extracurricular engagements in your CV.
6. Also grades do play an important role in selection, and if you have notable results it is worth highlight those (mention those in a way that is internationally undetstandable e.g. refering to relative performance Top x%) , but are not only factor taken into account in the application.
7. Medical undergraduate institution can play a role when it comes to e.g. a) suggesting you a person in the alumni network b) pinpointing specific events/campus activities that you can attend to meet consulting companies
I remain available if you have futher questions on MD career in consulting and preparation.