Does reading reports from consulting companies help you in case interview?
Reading case reports
It may help in the following situations:
- Coming up with smart questions for the Q&A part of the interview
- Giving the right industry knowledge if you are interviewing for a research / experts role.
For the generalist role I recommend reading the annual reports for investors by the top players in each industry (Retail, Banking, etc)
They can help you if you are reading them for a specific goal. Some of these goals could be:
- Gain some understanding of industries you have no experience (e.g. read up on trends in industries like banking, pharma, logistics..).
- Practice interpretation of graphs. Review the figures and pretend it is a case, which insights would you draw from these figures?
- Practice your hypothesis forming, by reading the introduction of these articles and thinking of the problems & possible solutions