So I have a bit of a conundrum on a neat, possibly MECE, approach to a problem such as: Given investment A or B, or given we do A and we want to move to B, what factors should we consider.
My idea would be as following (of course this is far from rigid, just a skeleton for ideas). The three very high-level buckets would be, and the inner buckets:
- The stakeholders:
- Who are the customers? What are their preferences (eg, A or B)? Etc.
- The company? Are we failing to satisfy these preferences? Would the new investment be better? Etc.
- (Maybe) Can the current staff/capabilities support the investment (eg, would A or B be easier to fit)?
- The finance:
- Can we afford this?
- NPV or profit/BEP etcetera. (for one or both)
- The how and implementation risks
- Competitor response
- Trends in the industry
- Would the stakeholders be happy etcetera.
What do you think?
I look forward to your feedback.