These cases are rare is that the casebooks (that are in general not a good source of cases).
To provide a bit of structure, there are several types of non-profit cases:
- Factors influencing the price (What are the factors influencing the price of oil? Factors influencing the price of real estate?)
- Macroeconomic cases (How will you improve life expectancy in a particular city? How will you decrease the unemployment?)
- Public sector non-profits (Increasing the revenues of a museum; increasing the revenues from tourism in a city)
- Redesigning the processes (How will you develop a new anti-monopoly regulation?)
- Non-profit investments (A billionaire is building a new school. What are the factors to look at?)
It is critical to define the objective for these cases to set a proper structure. Two types of questions you should ask:
- Could you please clarify the model / business model? E.g. if a billionaire is building a new school, is it a school for talented kids, rich kids or mass segment? Is it going to generate revenues?
- What are the main criteria for success? Is it NPV, ROI, share talented kids entering the top Universities?
As you can see there are many types of cases and many frameworks that can be used. I usually give homework (10 cases) and then cover them within one session. Feel free to reach me if you need help.